Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The One With Week 1 Day 1 of the Couch to 5K

In pursuit of my goal to be a runner, I decided to start the Couch to 5K program.  It's a 9-week long program that gradually introduces more running each week.  You are supposed to run 3 days a week with a rest day in between.

I had started the C25K program in early 2010, but I only made it to Week 2.  I didn't have my head in the game, so to speak, and that caused mental blocks that manifested themselves as physical blocks.  If I'd stayed with it, who knows what I'd be doing now.  But the past is the past, I can't change it, I can only move forward from here. So anyway, back to last time.  I found the podcasts from Robert Ullrey, which are really very good.  They have the run/walk prompts and upbeat dance type music on them.  Part of my pitfall last time though was that there was no singing for me to get lost in.

So this time around, I figured I could have Brian build me my own podcasts with one of his music editing softwares.  Not the most fun thing for him to do, but he's supporting me in my journey, so he agreed to do it.  While I was searching iTunes for the podcasts that were just the prompts, I found this app I could put on my iPod Touch that would allow me to listen to my own playlists and still have all the prompts.  The Couch to 5K app for iPhone is great!  And it was only $3!  Best $3 I could have spent.

I did the first day yesterday after wasting almost 6 hours updating my iPod so I could get the stupid app to load.  It was hard, I am not gonna lie.  And I looked ahead to the coming weeks, and all I can say is EEK! I can't imagine running for 8 minutes at a time, let alone a 20 minute stretch!  That just seems so beyond what I can do.  But that's why it's a gradual program.  And I will do it!  It just may take me a little longer than 9 weeks!

And I promised some pictures of me.  I haven't gotten Brian to take the "before" pictures yet, but I do have a family photo from August.  You can see my 4 boys, who I spend my days taking care of when I am not taking care of me.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment